Anti-alias - no difference between 2, 4, 8

2021-8-1 1448

I have an Anycubic Photn Mono X and have been experimenting with Anit-aliasing. I noticed that no matter what level I set, I get the same 8X antialiasing when looking at the sliced images in the preview window. Puttng the setting on 2 or 4 makes no difference. Anyone else notice this? Is it dependent on the machine type (does the Mono X only support 8X)?

New Post (3)
  • Lissanro Rayen 2021-8-4
    Quote 2Floor
    I do not think you can actually see the difference in the preview; also, animated preview in the tooltip when you mouse over Anti-aliasing Level is wrong - it shows 8x like no AA at all and 2 as the best, but in reality 8x is the best. If you would like to see the difference, I suggest looking this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcnlcugJM8. Basically, you can only see the difference if you actually print an object where it will be noticeable. There is no reason to choose anything below 8x if your printer's firmware supports it. If you are unsure if AA is working, try printing an object without AA and with 8x AA, you should see the difference if it is working correctly.
  • 2021-8-4
    Quote 3Floor
    You wont see it on the image as AA controls the brightness of the light and this is not represented in the sliced model very well. 

Note AA is not always the correct thing to use, AA will "smooth" edges and in some cases this is not what you want, if you want to print a perfect small cube for example that has only sharp 90 degree edges then it will print crisper with no AA. However in most cases AA will improve a print or not make any noticeable difference to a model once primed and painted. 

Getting the exposure time correct for the specific resin will have more of an impact on the sharpness and detail of a model than AA. So i would focus on getting the exposure time correct (And there are many test prints for this) and only then test with AA settings to see the difference. 

I generaly leave AA on at 8X unless i have a specific reason not to. 
  • 2021-8-9
    Quote 4Floor
    Lissanro Rayen I do not think you can actually see the difference in the preview; also, animated preview in the too ...
    Yes, I am not too concerned either since I too only use level 8 for maximum effect when needed. I was just bringing it to the attention of the coders. I can verify that the three settings are indeed identical. You can open each file in UVtools, looking at the same layer and the grey level pixel values are exactly the same. If you render out the same files using Photon Workshop, the pixel values are distinctly different when inspecting them in UVtools. If you print the three PW files, there are subtle differences, where the Chitubox files print identically. I would also agree that the tooltip is not right either. Thanks for the feedback though!