Autosupport for "Island"

Stefano Finocchiaro 2019-8-14 2409

Autosupport feature seem to complete ignore not supported "islands" instead it seem to care only of the angle of the surfaces. Autosupport instead should first place supports in all the not supported "island"  that can be found and then add supports based on the angle. I'm struggling to print some complex models because of that, I think that this it's a very important feature to be added

New Post (8)
  • 2020-1-4
    Quote 2Floor
    Bump for this feature request.  I am finding the autosupport feature is not very good.  Places way too many supports in places that don't really need them.  I just want to support islands most of the time.
  • SolidForm 2020-1-13
    Quote 3Floor
    I have to agree on this!!! This is a MAJOR flaw. Every single slice-job on a fairly complicated model (almost all figurine) is a fail! There are a LOT of unsupported island around. 
    CHITUBOX MUST SOLVE THIS ISSUE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
  • Oneshotblu 2020-1-16
    Quote 4Floor
    +1 here
  • Guest 2020-6-15
    Quote 5Floor
    bump. 
  • cbd 2020-6-15
    Quote 6Floor
    Regarding the support issue, we are optimizing and improving it.
  • lospo 2020-6-15
    Quote 7Floor
    +1 here, the island recognition would be a major update, with an auto-supports island function it will be a dream

Thank you
  • 2021-1-7
    Quote 8Floor
    From what i understand Island detection is done after the file is sliced (version 1.8) caculating before the slide is complicated and resorce intensive, it would have to carry out the slice to check where islands will form. 

So while its easy enough to logicaly do it it would be a slow step first the file would be sliced and then island detection can happen. It has to be done like this, the auo support is doing a basic quick version but it highly optermised. If you look at proton file validator or the new island detection in Chitubox you can see how much processing it takes based on the speed. 

Though i would like to see a "preview slide and detection" added so once you have added supports you can "test" it and then get all the island left highliged so you can deal with them. 
  • 2021-1-18
    Quote 9Floor
    Lychee slicer has thsi feature, you can detect islands, it highlights them you can add supports one by one, (or automaticaly) and then recheck. it does take time to scan the file, but my work flow is 

1. add supports
    2. check for islands
    3. add any missing supports to suport islands
    4. recheck for islands 
    5. repeat if needed 
    6. slice.