Model Cross-section too small?

climbhigh09 2019-12-6 1574

Hi all- 

Intro: I'm new to Chitubox as of this week, I'm printing on an Elegoo Mars with some really rewarding success on some beautiful prints, in fact I'm almost done with my first litre of resin.  I'm coming from a Rostock Max V2 over the last few years- all of which is to say I'm familiar with addative manufacturing, but new the MSLA.  So 'Hi.'

Problem:  When slicing a rather clasic print of a wire mesh skull (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1388237), I get terrible results. Most layers do not appear to generate an exposure image, while the occasional layer, maybe 1/1000, is nearly solid.  

Attempted fixes:

- Repair the STL.  I use MeshLabs filters to touch up the occasional stl that comes dirty out of the internet.  There are in fact a few 'inverted normals,'  but it's otherwise quite healty.  I've not had that fail slicing, so I'm not practiced fixing it.  Call it a work in progress failing other suggestions from this thread.  If you're looking, they're by the nasal opening, drivers side.

- Try my FDM Slicer.  KISSlicer noticed the face normal issue, but cut her up no problem.  Going to print it in FDM at 4x just for fun tonight.  I'm sure I'll be cleaning up plastic tomorrow.  I've got a 1mm nozel on there and the printer is set up for high volume, low fidelity.

-Scale the print.  Worried that the print crossection was too small, I made it as large as the platform would hold.  No change.  Incedentally, I've printed a few other things which have very tight gaps in CAD that were made solid by the slicing (gaps were greater that printer resolution of ~.002").  That was dissapointing, tips there appriciated regarless of this fix.

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

New Post (0)