Bottom Tolerance Compensation - please add Transition Layers option (manual override)

2021-3-3 4421

Hi, 

Gotta love 1.8.1 and Bottom Tolerance Compensation!

I have a photon mono X which adds transition layers in firmware (with no user option to modify).

Essentially after the stipulated numebr of bottom layers it adds another 10+ layers reducing exposure by 2 seconds unitl the exposure time is close to the normal exposure.

The mono x and other printers don't support user control of transition layers.

I use the Bottom Layer Tolerance however I still get an elephants foot or bulge due to the transition layers.

Here is a mockup (I am sure it can be worded better!):

Thanks for considering,

Chris

New Post (6)
  • cbd 2021-3-5
    Quote 2Floor
    1.8.1 The compensation of the transition layer is based on the compensation of the bottom tolerance dimension.
  • 2021-3-5
    Quote 3Floor

Hi,

I have checked and the slice file (attached) only reduces the bottom layers.

On the photon mono X the transition layer is done automatically by the printer – it checks the value of the last bottom layer and then keeps adjusts the next layers using the last exposure time (from the last bottom layer) reducing by 2 seconds until about 8 seconds (it just ignores the exposure times and increases them) – hence the number of transition layers varies depending on the exposure of the bottom layer.

38 the printer adds these automatically .. user can’t change – adds 16 transition layers

18 the printer adds these automatically – user can’t change – only adds 6 transition layers

On Default is shows transition layers

Wheras on the photon mono x there there is no spot for transition layers:

• cbd 2021-3-8
    Quote 4Floor

• 2021-3-11
    Quote 5Floor
    Update for anyone interested - support have referred it to development to consider adding transition layer setting to mono x.  

The default machine does have transition layers config (enter the number of transition layers).  

Support advised it is possible to slice using the Default machine (and save output in mono x format).  

Doing this extends the compensation at 100% for each of the transition layers.  Obviously this is not ideal as during the transition the exposure is gradually decreasing so the compensation also needs to proportionally decrease however it is better than nothing.    It leads to a small indent or 'reverse elephants foot" on the transition layers.

cheers
    Chris
  • 2021-10-2
    Quote 6Floor

Hej Chris. I´m facing the same problem. Thanks for the post, hope they will add your suggested transition layer reduction!!
    I still use the BTC in combination with a 1mm chamfer at the bottom. The result is good ... BUuuuuuuuuuut not good enough =)
    Have you tried the bulge buster app? I saw it last week on Youtube. They use a diffrent approach to get rid of elefphant food. But I think its still bugy.

Cheers

• Guest 2022-1-10
    Quote 7Floor
    Update for anyone interested - support have referred it to development to consider adding transition ...
    Just wondering if you've tried the same print with the upgraded firmware on the Mono X? I've just seen the update is available, but the release notes seem to only make changes on the Anti Aliasing rather than the bottom layer compensation. 
    I have the same issue with the elephants foot being part way up the model, but I found by changing the number of bottom layers it reduces the size of the foot but doesnt get rid of it.

Darren