Please add an option to only support the insides of a hollow model

Guest 2021-3-29 2774

Hi,

Most content creators now have presupported modes. Not all have hollowed them, so to save on resin we hollow them ourselves.

The problem is that the auto support function adds supports everywhere, thus the model gets more supports on places not needed.

It would be awesome if we have an option to only support the insides of a model.

Thanks.

New Post (6)
  • 2021-3-30
    Quote 2Floor

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

Did you try Infill Structure? Which automatically generates a grid structure inside the model.

Not sure if this is what you need, please let me know if you have further questions :)

• Guest 2021-3-31
    Quote 3Floor
    Does this explicitly support islands created after hollowing models? 
  • Guest 2021-3-31
    Quote 4Floor
    Does this explicitly support islands created after hollowing models?
  • 2021-3-31
    Quote 5Floor
    Guest Does this explicitly support islands created after hollowing models?

Hi, I'm not sure what do you mean by "explicitly support".

If you mean supports added automatically or manually, the hollowing operation won't remove supports those are already added, but if you add auto-generated supports to your model first and hollow the model after that, you will most likely have islands inside the model, and it can be tedious to add support manually inside the model. Therefore, the recommended order is hollow -> add supports.

If you mean the infilled orthogonal structure as the picture shown in 2 Floor, it was generated with the hollowing operation simultaneously, you can see the Hollow menu in the picture.

• Guest 2021-4-4
    Quote 6Floor
    Hi, thank you for your feedback.Did you try Infill Structure? Which automatically generates ...
    Ich habe das gleiche Problem. Die Infill Struktur ist zwar eine nette Idee, ich brauche in dem hohlen Modell genau 4 schwere Stützen. Ich müßte den Infill auf 70% schalten, damit er den Zacken stützt, dann kann ich das Modell gleich voll drucken.  Translated by Google: I have the same problem. The infill structure is a nice idea, I need exactly 4 heavy supports in the hollow model. I would have to switch the infill to 70% so that it supports the spike, then I can fully print the model right away.
  • Guest 2021-4-6
    Quote 7Floor
    Hi, I'm not sure what do you mean by "explicitly support".If you mean supp ...

No, what I mean is the following.

I would like an option to ONLY autosupport the insides of a hollowed model. Not the infill, just support.

For example:

this model comes presupported by the seller

I hollow the model:

If I autosupport it now, to support the islands that arrise after hollowing, it also supports the outside:

The feature I am asking for is to not support the outside, only on the inside.